German Tax Consultants: Impressions of our consulting team and our rooms

Freelancer (Freiberufler)

Many independent academics (doctors, lawyers, IT specialists etc.) are designated as freelancers in Germany. The same word (freelancer - Freiberufler) is also used in English.

A freelancer must only submit an application for tax registration at the jurisdictional tax office. The freelancer's income is then subject to income tax and must generally also calculate VAT on his income.

For the general freelancing structure, we refer you to the details under the heading "Sole Proprietorship".

Interested in more information?

If you are interested in more information or in founding a German company, please contact us via email to